Thursday, October 13, 2011
The mitigation fund for the Cohocton Wind Project was a total of $200,000- $150,000 went to the Larrowe House, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and $50,000 was awarded to the Naples Memorial Hall for a study for restoration of their structure. The SHPO mitigation was awarded for visual impact compensation of the project. The "siding" finish is unique, similar to the Rustication siding of Mt. Vernon. The original finish was a concrete, resin and paint finish applied over a wood siding, scored to resemble a block building. The "new" faux finish is a similar product produced by Sherwin Williams in their Historic finish line called Conflex. The Sherwin Williams district manager, and the manager of the Geneseo store have been on site from the start. They analyzed the original finish so we could determine the product used and color. Sherwin Williams has also joined the restoration with an offer to restore all of the shutters on the building to an original color of dark green, they will be installed in the spring. We will have funds left from the first phase of restoration to restore the porches in the spring. The windows are also being re-glazed, and cracked windows replaced with new glass that replicates the old wave glass of the 1800's. This will be amazing when completed. The siding is expected to be done before winter. The score marks you seen in the photos are painted in by hand, the faux texture looks and feels like a block building, even with an up close inspection. The block chimney is also being removed and a vent place behind the shrubs. The cupola, eaves and overhangs were restored before the siding was started. This project is funded by First Wind and private donations, no state grants have been used.
The contractor for the project, Jeff Fox, is a resident of Cohocton. His crew of four also has local ties, so we kept the money local. Larry Mehlenbacher from LMC ( Foster Wheeler) loaned the project the lift free of charge, saving the Historical Society thousands. Larry and his business benefited from the Cohocton project from storage at his facility in Dansville, he is also a Cohocton resident. It seems many are interested in giving back to help the project, since the initial kick off from First Wind.
The funds also replaced the heating system, stabilized the beam in the basement, installed new bathroom fixtures and provided the paint and floor finish for the interior of the Larrowe House. We are so fortunate to have First Wind in Cohocton.
At the time the Larrowe House received the funds, the structure was owned by the Town and Village of Cohocton. A special committee was set up for the disbursement of funds for restoration. Representatives from the Town, Village and Historical Society serve on the committee, headed by Dave Simolo. The committee monitors the spending and makes decisions regarding the priority of needs.
Albertus Larrowe II was inducted into the Steuben County Hall of Fame last year, he founded the Larrowe Milling Company (Buckwheat) in Cohocton and built the house for his son Charles and his wife, Minnie. Charles and Minnie were childless, when they passed the house was willed to his half-brother, James E. Larrowe and wife Amy Bell. After the death of James, Amy gifted the Larrowe House to the Town and Village of Cohocton in 1948, shortly before her death, for use as a Municipal Building. The Town and Village moved their offices to Atlanta approx. 2 1/2 years ago, and gifted the structure to the Cohocton Historical Society. James E. Larrowe was instrumental as one of four companies who combined to form General Mills. The history of General Mills is told in the book "Business without Boundrys. He, Larrowe Mills and Cohocton are noted in the book. The family is buried in the Larrowe Cemetery at the end of South Main St. in Cohocton.